FAQs in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science

Q. What is the deadline for applications and supporting documents?
A. The deadline for applications and all supporting documents (TOEFL scores, GRE scores, Official Transcripts and Letters of Recommendations) for Fall quarter 2015 is January 15, 2015. All supporting documents must be in our office by 5:00 PM on January 15, 2015.

Q.  What documents do I need to submit by the deadline ?
A. Use the following list as a guideline of documents needed for a complete application
__________ Application - can be done online
__________ Application Fee - can be done online
__________ Statement Of Purpose - can be done online
__________ The GRE - must be submitted electronically from ETS and sent to our UCI Graduate Division (institution code 4859)
__________ The TOEFL - must be submitted electronically from ETS and sent to our UCI Graduate Division (institution code 4859). As an alternative to the TOEFL, you may submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). You must submit a Test Report Form (TRF) to: Graduate Division | Admissions | 120 Aldrich Hall, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-3180.
__________ Official Transcripts (Bachelors and Masters, if applicable)
__________ 3 letters of recommendation - can be done online

The only items that are required to be mailed to our office are official transcripts.  Official transcripts must be signed or stamped and sealed in an envelope by the University.  Please mail transcripts early to ensure delivery to our office by 5:00 PM on January 15, 2015.  Please send official transcripts to the following address:

University of California, Irvine
Department of EECS,  Graduate Admission Office
2201 Engineering Hall
Irvine, CA 92697-2625-10

Please do not include financial documents at this time.  International applicants may be required to submit proof of funding as part of the application process at a later date.  If we require them, we will contact you.  Do not include them with your documents at this time.

Please do not use any staples, paper clips or scotch tape on any envelopes or documents.
Documents in envelopes, should be folded in thirds only.
Do not separate documents with paper clips or staples.
Please do not submit presentation folders.

Q. What is the minimum GPA ?

A.Grade Point Averages are calculated on a 4.0 scale. If your school does not grade using a 4.0 grade point average, we will convert it for you using the International GPA guide. Unless your transcripts specifically states that your school uses the 4.0 GPA, then our calculations will stand.

For admission into the Master's program you must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.

If you are applying to the Doctoral program, you must have earned a 3.0 in your Undergraduate education and at least a 3.5 in your MS program.

Q. Can you waive the application fee?  

A. The university offers potential graduate students who are either U.S. citizens or permanent residents the opportunity to apply for an application fee waiver. All of the instructions are available on our website located at http://www.grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/fee-waivers.html.  Foreign applicants are not eligible for graduate application fee waivers.

Q.  Are financial documents required?

A. International applicants may be required to submit proof of funding as part of the application process.

Q. How many international and domestic students are admitted to the department quarter?  

A. Approximately 2/3 of domestic applicants and 1/3 of international students are admitted each year.

Q. Is it easier to be admitted for the Fall, Winter or spring quarter?  

A. Applications are accepted for Fall quarter only.  Fellowships are only awarded in the Fall quarter.

Q. My background is in a different field.  Would I still be considered for admission?
A. An applicant will be considered regardless of academic background.  However, a basis of knowledge is important when considering any graduate studies.  Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate interest and potential for research and academic success.  If admitted, a new student might also be encouraged to take prerequisite courses if necessary. 

Q. How do I find out whether I may qualify for a TOEFL waiver?

A. Please see the website for English Proficiency here: http://www.grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/english-proficiency.html.  Please read it very carefully, as the policies are very specific and non-negotiable.

Q. My TOEFL scores have expired.  Would I still be considered for admission?

A. Please see the website for English Proficiency here: http://www.grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/english-proficiency.html.  Please read it very carefully, as the policies are very specific and non-negotiable.
Q. May I defer my admission offer?  

A. Under special circumstances admitted students may be approved to defer admissions. Deferral requests must be made in writing before the start of the original quarter of admission.
Q. If I defer my offer of admission with financial support, what are my chances of being offered financial support again later?  

A. Under special circumstances, the department may approve admission and financial support deferral for one quarter only, from Fall to Winter.

Q. My admission letter didn't include an offer of financial support. When will I hear about my financial support?  

A. Every effort is made to make admission and financial support offers together for outstanding applicants. Financial aid is offered at the same time as the admission offer.  It will be noted in your admission letter. The department may make additional offers after April 15th subject to available funding.
Q. Are my chances of being admitted to a graduate degree program in the Department better if I do not require financial assistance?

A. Uniform admissions standards are applied to all students regardless of financial need. Please do not send any financial information with your application.
Q. I received a fellowship for next academic year that includes a monthly stipend. Will I be required to work as a TA or a GSR in return for the stipend?  

A. Conditions of your financial support award are included in the formal letter you received from the Department. Employment as a TA or GSR is not generally required when the student's financial support package includes a monthly stipend. When service is required in return for the stipend, the student is typically employed on a "without salary" basis as a Graduate Student Researcher.
Q. What forms of financial aid are available for incoming graduate students?  

A. There are two broad types of financial support offered to incoming graduate students: fellowships and student employment.

The Department makes a small number of fellowship offers each Fall to outstanding entering graduate students. The conditions and terms of the various fellowship awards will vary, but they usually include the remission of fees and nonresident tuition and a monthly stipend for living expenses. Fellowship recipients are selected at the same time that admission decisions are made.

Graduate students may be employed as Graduate Student Researchers or Teaching Assistants. Individual faculty members have research funds available for supporting incoming students as GSRs. Interested applicants should inquire about such opportunities directly to the EECS faculty whose research programs most closely match their own background and interests. A current list of faculty and their research areas is available at the department website.

The Department also offers TA positions to qualified graduate students each quarter.  

Q. Can I be employed as a Teaching Assistant (TA) or Graduate Student Researcher (GSR)?  

A. To be hired as a TA or GSR, students must provide proof of eligibility for employment on campus.  All international students and those students who did not attend all 4 years in a US high school, must take and pass the SPEAK or TOEP exam or have taken the TOEFL iBT and scored a 26 or higher prior to the start of the quarter for which they apply for a TA position.   

Q. Will my admission offer include guaranteed access to on-campus housing?  

A. PhD students are generally offered student housing, provided they register for housing and pay the deposit.  There will be a deadline for this, usually the first of May for the following academic year.  All newly admitted students are responsible for applying on their own to live on campus; you will receive information directly from the UCI Housing Office concerning the various housing options available on campus. Early applications to live in on-campus housing are strongly encouraged; you do not need to wait to be admitted to apply to live on campus.  
Q. What's the institution code for GRE and TOEFL?  

A. The institution code for GRE and TOEFL is 4859