Ph.D. Faculty Research Advisor Policy
Ph.D. students should have a research advisor at all times throughout their graduate study in order to be fulfilling the requirement or making satisfactory progress toward their degree. However, matching with a Ph.D. advisor can take some time and, as such, guidelines have been put in place. Please note that matching with a faculty research advisor is independent of locating funding for a student's studies.
In order to remain in good academic standing, continuing students who are switching advisors (for whatever reason) must match with a new faculty research advisor no later than by the end of the subsequent quarter (excluding summer term). Once you have matched with a faculty research advisor, please submit the Ph.D. Faculty Research Advisor Verification Form.
Nomination of Ph.D. Qualifying Exam Committee
The Qualifying Exam Nomination Form must be submitted to your department at least two weeks before your qualifying examination. You will be notified if there are any problems with your proposed committee.
Guidelines for Committee Membership:
- This committee must consiste of at least 5 members.
- All committee members must hold a Ph.D.
- At least 3 members, including the Chair, must hold a tenure track faculty appointment within your home department.
- At least 1 member must hold a position at UCI outside of your home department. Please verify that the outside member does not have a primary or joint appointment with your home department.
- For each committee only one exception request will be considered. Exceptions could include a professor from outside of the University or an adjunct professor serving on the committee. In the case of an exception request, the department must turn in an exception memo and a copy of the professor’s CV with this form in order to get this approved.
- Please note that some departments/programs have additional guidelines. Please refer to your department/program website or handbook for more information.
Instructional Sheets for Graduate Division forms
- Change of Degree Level
- Filing Fee
- General Petition
- M.S. Advancement to Candidacy
- M.S. Thesis Signature Page
- Ph.D. Form I
- Ph.D. Form II
- Qualifying Exam Nomination
Required forms can be found at the UC Irvine's Graduate Division site for general campus financial aid, and other information for graduate students such as:
- Current Students
- Diversity Students
- International Students
- GSHIP Waiver/Medical Release
- Financial Aid
- Research Activity
- IRS - Tax Filing